Skip to main content

Forming A New Nation

Group 1 Direct Instruction!

Image result for bill of rightsYesterday, Group 1 started off our fieldwork experience with the first direct instruction lesson. They taught the students about the branches of government, the bill of rights, and the constitution. I thought overall they did very well. I thought they all knew their content and that they did a great job of projecting their voices. I really liked their guided practice activity. Durin that activity, they gave each table a different set of terms. The definitions for these terms, which were events and other key concepts like the constitution, were put up on the SMART board and were read aloud by one of the teachers. The student had to discuss as a group what the correct term was and then look through the one they had to see they had the right answer. The group that did have the right answer got to go and put it up on the board. I felt that the student really liked this activity. I think the independent practice could have been a bit more reflective. Group one chose to do a multiple choice quiz at the end as an independent practice. I thought this was an easy way to check if the students understood the material, but some student could have just been good guessers and not really understood. I also felt that some of the slides were a bit plane and could have used some more pictures. With the amount of content we have to cover for each of our groups, I understand the struggle of fitting in all the information and making the slides look aesthetically pleasing. As I said, I think overall the lesson went really well and I think the students really learned a lot. Fireworks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning about the Constitution

Group 1 Inquiry! On Thursday, February 12, Group 1 conducted their Inquiry lesson plan where the students followed a WebQuest. To begin the lesson, the teachers had the students log onto Google Classroom. This took much longer than they expected and it really took away from the lesson. At first, I thought it was taking so long because the students were doing a pre-assessment on there. However, after they finally logged on, the teachers had the students do a Kahoot! for a pre-assessment. The idea was good, but it didn't turn out so great in practice. The students, as you might expect, got too excited playing the game and I think it got the teachers a bit more frazzled after their technical difficulties. This lead to some chaos in the room. I must commend them on how they were able to recover and get the students to be so quiet while they were working on their independent practice. All of the students were practically silent and diligently working. The students seemed very intere

Finishing Social Studies Methods!!!

As all of my work is in its final touches, I am excited to be finishing up Social Studies Methods. I have learned a lot this semester. Much like Science Methods, I learned a lot of new technologies to use in class. One of the most interesting pieces of technology that I had learned about was Mentimeter . This was a website that allows you to ask the class questions to which they can answer with words to make a word cloud or even simple multiple choice words. What makes this website different is that the results come in real time. The website will automatically save the results and email them to the creator. This would be a very useful tool to use in my classroom one day to get the students engaged and excited about many topics, not just Social Studies. Another great piece of technology that we had learned about is ThingLink . We had used this tool last year in science to teach the class about the different layers of the Atmosphere, but I think ThingLink is a much more effective tool f