Skip to main content

Forming A New Nation

Group 1 Direct Instruction!

Image result for bill of rightsYesterday, Group 1 started off our fieldwork experience with the first direct instruction lesson. They taught the students about the branches of government, the bill of rights, and the constitution. I thought overall they did very well. I thought they all knew their content and that they did a great job of projecting their voices. I really liked their guided practice activity. Durin that activity, they gave each table a different set of terms. The definitions for these terms, which were events and other key concepts like the constitution, were put up on the SMART board and were read aloud by one of the teachers. The student had to discuss as a group what the correct term was and then look through the one they had to see they had the right answer. The group that did have the right answer got to go and put it up on the board. I felt that the student really liked this activity. I think the independent practice could have been a bit more reflective. Group one chose to do a multiple choice quiz at the end as an independent practice. I thought this was an easy way to check if the students understood the material, but some student could have just been good guessers and not really understood. I also felt that some of the slides were a bit plane and could have used some more pictures. With the amount of content we have to cover for each of our groups, I understand the struggle of fitting in all the information and making the slides look aesthetically pleasing. As I said, I think overall the lesson went really well and I think the students really learned a lot. Fireworks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mock Interviews

 Today we had our mock interviews in class. I volunteered to be an administrator during the interviews. My specific role was to interview people from the inquiry angle. I had come up with four questions centered around the process of inquiry and how my colleagues turned potential employees would implement it in their future classrooms. The four questions I asked were, " Which of the five E’s would you consider the most important to the Inquiry model?", " What technologies would you incorporate into an inquiry lesson based on Ancient Greece to help students engage with your content in the elements of history, geography, philosophy, etc ?", "Why do you think this technology will bring the process of inquiry to life?", and "How does providing students with divergent/open-ended questions (that require multiple answers) encourage higher order thinking and how would you incorporate them into your classroom?" These were the three main questions that I...

Finishing Fieldwork Once Again

Yet again we have reached the end of a fieldwork cycle. This is always a bittersweet moment to reach. Our class of fifth graders was very intelligent and engaging to work with. I will miss them now that we are done, but I am proud of what we accomplished. Overall, I think my group's direct instruction was our best lesson. Our inquiry had a few "hick-ups" that could be improved with a little more practice and planning, especially when it comes to knowing where the students are going to move to their next station. Our cooperative learning lesson was a great experience as well. This was the first time I had taught a cooperative lesson. In class today we talked about what makes a cooperative lesson more than just group work. Group work is something that everyone has experienced in school at one point or another in their school career. Most people hear group project and they freat because people don't pull thier own weight and someone ends up doing it all. In a cooporative...

Philosophy of Social Studies Teaching

Teaching Social Studies!  When it comes to Social Studies, I have always been a big fan of the subject. All of my Social Studies teachers have been amazing and would want to be anything else but a history major in college. I realize that many students will not share this sentiment when it comes to Social Studies. They may find the subject hard, boring, or even unbearable. To me, these sentiments come from not having the right teacher. If your teacher is not passionate about what they teach, the students will never truly become passionate about the subject themselves. For a teacher to be a successful Social Studies teacher, her main goal should be to make history come to life and the way to do this is by implementing the five principals of Social Studies teaching.  The five principles of Social Studies teaching are having meaningful, integrative, value-based, challenging, and active lessons. For a lesson to be mindful it must have a purpose. This means that you shouldn...